Sunday, July 1, 2007

MOP and LOP

The peloton - I was only part of it for about 10 miles


Don finishing his race with style - just beating the womens Cat 1 peloton which started 5 minutes after him.


It is easy to find motivation when you have the best cheering squad in town!


Thanks to the Vails for coming out both nights to cheer



Since joining the cycling world, I have always been a MOP (middle of the pack) or a LOP (last of the pack), but I have never been dead last.....but as the adage says - there is a first time for everything. When I signed up for the race (Proctor Cycling Classic), I did not realize that it was a "state championship race". I was SO excited for my 1st ever stage race. That being said, there were cash prizes - even in the cat 5 (beginners category). Friday night was the prologue - a 6K time trial race up a local hill where I firmly established my position as a LOPper (see definition above). However, I was not Dead last....but very close to it. The Saturday race turned out to be even more competitive on 34 miles through central Illinois toughest hills (Yes - there are hills here). I began to get suspicious when I was the only rider at the starting line with hairy legs, and without a sponsored club or team jersey. Many in the beginners class were riding with team colors and on matching bicycles (not your typical cat 5). There was a $700 purse for the best climber (King of the Hill - KOH), which was determined by the 1st person in each category to reach the top of the steepest hill on the course. As all of the teams in the peloton positioned themselves for the KOH prize money - I was quickly dropped. Despite being the 1st person to get last place, it was still an amazing experience. We got to see some of the Pro riders race (teams from all over the U.S. came in to town). The best part of the race was that it was here - in our home town. For Fridays prologue, my warm up consisted of riding from the driveway to the starting line. The way I figure it......there is always next year.


Just leaving the house for the Friday night Prologue



The cutest cheering section on the road



Finishing the Grueling 6K uphill prologue - the final 300M was flat



Rob and the boys coming back from their cheering location. They positioned themselves right at the peak of the toughest section of climbing.


1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Good for you Donnie for getting out there and giving the race a go. Cat 5 racers are pretty competitive...when Barry was racing in that cat. he was putting in about 6-10 hours a week biking in the hills. I love your cheering section..they are the cutest!!